On the banks of Lake Nasser lies Kalabsha Temple, an often overlooked jewel of Aswan. Egypt Tours Advisor Egyptologist guide is waiting to take you on a private tour to the ...
On the banks of Lake Nasser lies Kalabsha Temple, an often overlooked jewel of Aswan. Egypt Tours Advisor Egyptologist guide is waiting to take you on a private tour to the temple to help you unlock its secrets. For two years from 1961, Kalabsha Temple was dismantled into 15,000 pieces and moved block by block to its current location on the banks of Lake Nasser. It was just one of 18 temples and monuments moved in order to preserve them from the rising Nile water created by the construction of Aswan's High Dam. The temple which is dedicated to the Egyptian god Horus and the Nubian god Mandulis, was originally built just after the Ptolemy period, the era after Alexander the Great's death (323BC). The facade of the temple is undecorated suggesting it was never finish by its original builder, the Roman emperor Octavius Augustus. Despite being unfinished, Kalabsha Temple is considered the most complete, and largest free-standing temple in Nubia. The inner walls feature Egyptian artwork including a carving of St George slaying a dragon and Coptic crosses, showing the influence of Christians who used the temple as a church during the Roman persecution. Another piece of art work which is a feature of the temple is a carving declaring the prohibition of eating pork which is carved in Meroitic. This language remains a mystery to Egyptologists today, with its origin still unknown. Your private tour from Aswan includes a qualified Egyptologist guide, entrance fees and transportation from your Aswan hotel.
* 9:00am (later departures are available until 1:00pm if required, please advise at time of booking)
Tour departs from Aswan hotels or Port area
Tour returns to original point of departure
Tour departs from Aswan hotels and Port area. Please include the details of your hotel at the time of booking.
* Prices are listed as a guide only. For an exact price quote contact us
* Child prices are not applicable, adult prices apply to all travelers.
* Infants aged 2 years and under are free of charge, provided they do not occupy a seat
* Prices are per person.
* Our pricing is updated constantly to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
* Qualified Egyptologist guide
* Entrance fees
* Hotel/port pickup and drop off
* Transport by air conditioned minibus
* Gratuities (recommended)
* Food and drinks, unless specified