Start from 20 $
Discover the ancient sites and culture of Coptic Christians with True Egypt Tours on a private tour through Old Cairo. Visit Abu Serga where the Holy family sort refuge, and Ben ...
Discover the ancient sites and culture of Coptic Christians with True Egypt Tours on a private tour through Old Cairo. Visit Abu Serga where the Holy family sort refuge, and Ben Ezra, one of the oldest synagogues in Cairo. Learn about Christian life in Egypt, a country where Christianity is a minority. The Hanging Church is built into the walls of the water gate of the Roman fortress and is possibly the oldest Christian church in Egypt. Dedicated to the Virgin Mary, it is one of Cairo's most beautiful churches. Continue to the Monastery and Church of St George This is not an old church, dating from 1909, but there has been a church in Coptic Cairo dedicated to the Martyr since the 10th-century. It is one of the few remaining circular churches in the Middle East. Your next stop is the Abu Serga, one of the places where the Holy Family rested after fleeing Israel from King Herod. At the turn of the century this little church, which dates from the 10th-century, was the most important pilgrimage spot in Old Cairo for visiting Christian tourists. There are 24 marble columns lining the central court, and a series of 12th-century icons depicting the 12 apostles. Ben Ezra Synagogue is one of the oldest in Egypt. Set in a shady garden, it was built on the site of 4th-century Christian church. The synagogue was severely damaged by Arabs after the 1967 war with Israel, but it has been almost completely renovated. You have the option to add a visit to the Coptic Museum at the end of the tour. The Museum is located in an area of great historical importance within the precinct of the Babylon Fort. Occupying over 8,000 sq meters the museum features almost 16,000 objects of importance to the Copts of Egypt. This is a private tour allowing you to determine the amount of time spent at each of the sites. In addition you have the chance to visit a Papyrus Institute to see how this famous artwork is made and have the chance to purchase genuine items if you wish.
* 9:00am (earlier or later departures are available until 1:00pm if required, please advise at time of booking)
* 4 hours (approx.)
Your driver will meet you at the exit of your cruise boat
Tour returns to original point of departure
Tour departs from centrally located Cairo and Giza hotels. Please include the details of your hotel at the time of booking.
* Prices are listed as a guide only. For an exact price quote contact us
* Child prices are not applicable, adult prices apply to all travelers.
* Infants aged 2 years and under are free of charge, provided they do not occupy a seat
* Prices are per person.
* Our pricing is updated constantly to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
* Qualified Egyptologist guide
* Hotel pickup and drop off
* Transport by air conditioned vehicle
* Gratuities .
* Food and drinks, unless specified
* Entrance to Coptic Museum (approximately 5.00 EGP)
* This tour must be booked at least 48 hours in advance of your travel date.
* Confirmation of this tour will be received at time of booking.
* The duration of transfers are approximate. The exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions.